SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Carvel 2 door handle

A home owner from Chapel Hill NC says:
I have a Carvel 2 (1971-1977) sliding patio door, and the handle plus hardware needs to be replaced. It is loose and can no longer be tightened. The last time I checked when Peachtree was still in business, this was unavailable, and the Carvel 2 needs to be replaced with another handle (Carvel PD 7). Can you tell me what is needed to replace the handle, and whether you have it in stock? I see that the Peachtree Carvel Sliding Patio Door - Handle Set is not available.
User submitted a photo of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I would be happy to help. Before we can find a replacement, though, can you give me more information? I would like to know the distance between the screw holes (measured center to center), specifically. Can you also tell me if you need the mortise lock? If so, we will need th know that hole spacing, as well.
A home owner from Chapel Hill says:
Paul, the distance is 5 inches. The lock is fine - it is the inside handle and screws that have become loose.
Let me know if you have a solution.
I'll send another picture or two.
A home owner from Chapel Hill says:
I'm attaching some photos of the handle. The problem isn't with the latch part, inside the door. That's fine. I believe the problem is that the black metal housing in both sides of the handles (the metal part that holds the wood handle) may be starting to be stripped where the screws go in. (On one side, the inside part with the lock latch, the place where the screw goes in is slightly damaged; the wall has collapsed just a bit; you can see it in a close-up photo that I've sent. ) I also am quite certain that the screws are becoming stripped. Just replacing the screws may help a lot, though I think the metal housing may also be a problem and may also be getting stripped where the screws go in. If you have the outer metal parts, plus the screws, I think that would do it. If you don't have the metal housing parts separate from the wood handles, we would still like to get both parts, including the wood. And if you just have the screws, that might be helpful, too. Let me know what's available and we can go from there.
User submitted photo of their door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
We don't have a handle set in this style with 5" hole spacing, but take a look at the 82-042 outside handle. It has a 4-15/16" hole spacing. It also takes a #8-32 threaded screw, which you could pick up at a local hardware store. This might solve your problem.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)