SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Casement Operators, J.S. Thorn Company

A contractor from Phoenix, Az says:
This operator is out of a 1939 house. Stamped on the top is J.S. Thorn Co.,Philadelphia, Pa. Patent 1941432. I've attached 4 photos. I'm looking for replacements...about 30 are needed. It looks similiar to product code 39-004. Is it available in different 'arm' lengths?
User submitted photo of casement operators stamped J.S. Thorn Co., Philadelphia, PA.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It is my understand that the arm lengths on the 39-003 and 39-004 Operator are the only arm lengths available. The only draw back I can imagine with using a shorter arm length are that the casement sash may not open as wide.
A contractor from Phoenix, Az says:
I understand that the arm lenghts are only available in the 8 1/4' length. Are the 39-003 and 39-004 operators the correct replacement operators for my original J.S. Thorn operators?? Is there any problem with the small wheels at the end of the arm vs. the notched end of the arm on my originals? Will they fit in the same tracks that are attached on the bottom of my steel casement windows?

Thanks,
Rick
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, Rick.

The ends should still fit into the existing tracks. We do carry tracks if needed, but I would try your existing tracks first. Also, before you install the new operators, be sure the windows operate smoothly. You may want to lubricate the hinges and tracks before installing the operator(s).

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)