SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Casement Window Handle (ROTO brand / Male 5/16" hex) does not stay in.

A quick learner from Martin, TN says:
Hello: I have read many of your other posts and they have helped me to solve several issues and identify parts. Thank you. I have several casement windows with the photos attached. The handle goes in but will not "latch" in. There is no Screw to tighten. It operates the window just fine but it is "lose". The place where you insert it seems to still hold the hex well. The rubber gasket like part seems to be worn a bit. How can I "tighten" the handle to stay in and not be able to pull it out? I also have three hex heads broken off into the operator. I am going to try a suggestion you made to another about drilling a hole and removing it with a screw. If that does not work, I am assuming I need to replace the entire operator? Your expertise appreciated.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
These are the older style operators made by Roto. When the plastic collar wears out, it will not keep the handle locked into the operator. I suggest using a type of adhesive to keep the handle in place. You could even pad it out with tape for a quick temporary fix.

As for the broken stud, I would try to drill and install a screw, then use a set of pliers to give the stem a pull to see if it will come out. If all else fails you can always replace the complete operator. We have various types of Roto operators you could consider, though you will need to remove yours from the window to get a good the best comparison.
A quick learner says:
Thank you. I believe I found our solution.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)