Casement Window Operator C-1040-5B

A handy person from Denver Colorado says:
We recently bought a house in Denver Colorado and one of the casement windows is missing the entire operator mechanism. The window is one of a side by side pair and it's mate has the operator so the pictures below are of that operator. The two windows swing opposite directions so I need the opposite of whatever is pictured If the pictured operator is Right-Hand (I think) -- then the replacement part I need the is Left-Hand version, in Almond color. If not, then vice versa.

There is one part number stamped on the underside of the operator -- C-1040-5B. Another part number is stamped on the underside of the outermost split arm -- A with a double underscore followed by F-1040-12.

I've tried to represent the measurements in the pictures, but some were difficult to capture. Here's what I came up with:

Total width excluding cover: 4 1/2 "
Body Height without cover and excluding crank housing protrusion: 5/8 "
There are 11 holes for mounting to the sill interior, width between the most exterior holes, measured center to center: 2 13/16"
Center to center between the holes for mounting to the face of the window frame: 3 1/8"
Total arm extension: 8 5/8"
Longer arm (one attached to window): 5"

I couldn't measure the shorter arm very well since where the bend was left a lot of room for error. When positioned at a 90 degree angle it measured 4 1/8".

If I buy a replacement operator, does it come with the cover, the crank handle and the attachment clip?

Thanks so much for your time and help.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. I've seen this before. We don't have an exact match but you may be able to use our 39-315 and 39-316 as replacements. Look them over and let me know if you agree!
Thanks so much for your response. I think that this will be our best option. We're facing some minor modifications though. Would it be possible to get some additional measurements from you to be certain this will work? Also I need clarification on a few follow-up questions.

1. What is the length from the back of the housing to the end of the linkage arms when fully extended (as pictured in the top left picture above)?

2. What are the dimensions of the plate used to screw the operator to the sill. My existing one is 3 3/8" x 2 5/8". Too much more than 2 5/8" and it will interfere with the window closing.

3. The only two available colors are white and clay? I really need almond or beige. (I'm prepared to spray paint the housing cover if absolutely necessary.)

4. My existing installation uses Stud Bracket 39-508 with a metal clip to attach the linkage arm to the underside of the window. I need the metal clip. Is it included with the operator? If not, can I buy one from you?

Thank you!
The full length, extended like you show in your photo, is 8-7/8" long. The dimensions of the mounting plate are 3-3/4" wide and 1-1/8" in depth. We do not carry it in almond, but you can paint over it. If you have the 39-508 stud bracket you will need to purchase the 39-105 clip to install on the link arm. I hope this information helps.
Thanks so much! Looks like I'll be able to move forward with this project. I'll be ordering my replacement parts soon. I really appreciate your time. You've been a great help.
It was my pleasure!
I've very excited to finally have my parts in hand. But I need to spray paint the white cover. I tried a few things to get the cover off but I'm afraid of breaking something at this point. Does the cover come off of the operator? If so, what's the how-to and/or trick to accomplish that? Or will I need to do a spectacular job of taping to spray paint the cover in place? Not looking forward to option 2.

Best regards and thanks for your continued help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, good to hear from you again. Unfortunately, these covers are not meant to be removed. You would have to try to spray paint with it still attached. Sorry for the bad news!
How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.