SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Casement window crank

A quick learner from California says:
Original crank removed from a mountain cabin built in 1930. Stamped on base of crank ""J S Thorn Co, Philadelphia".

I see one Thorn crank on your website; it is different than the this one. My crank is as follows:

1. Has 3 mounting screws, two on outside (two on the left side for the left-hand crank; two on the right side of the right-hand crank). The crank casting is threaded (no nuts) and the screws enter from the exterior side of the window.

2. For left-hand crank, the two screws on left side are separated by 7/8"; the distance between the two OUTSIDE screws is 4 3/8",

3. The crank casting is semi-circular (no flat edge on either side). IT is DIFFERENT in this respect to the 39-004 Thorn shown on your website).

4. The Thorn 39-004 has an arm measurement of 8 1/4". The measurement for my crank (from pivot point/axle) is 10 1/2"; however, my crank has a slightly different style of the end of the arm than the 39-004.

I need both a left-hand and right--hand crank.

Thank you!
Randy
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Randy. At this point, I think it'd be best if we saw a few pictures of your operator. We would especially need to see a few pictures of the housing and the tip of the arm, to see how it's different. Let me know!
Hi, Tom:
I don't have pictures, but I've just traced the crank onto a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. The end of arm is slightly difficult to represent, but my drawing is very close.
I hope this helps.
Randy.
User submitted a diagram of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I recognize this operator. Unfortunately, it is no longer made. The closest matches we have are our 39-003 & 39-004. You will just have to swap out the track to our 39-504. Check out this older discussion for more information.
Thanks, Tom, for your excellent help! I've ordered a left and right crank along with two of the tracks. Best regards!

Randy.
Profile picture of Tom
No problem, Randy! Let me know if you need anything else, we'd be happy to help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)