SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

CertainTeed Brynmawr II Replacement parts

A home owner from Wantagh, NY says:
The enclosed pics are from tilting double hung window from CertainTeed 30 degree Bay Window purchased and installed waaaaaaay back in 1998 (and STILL in good shape!). The left side bottom window (facing out from inside) does not remain up but slams down shut. It seems the pictured part(s) are the "culprits", except I do not know their compatible replacements. I would GRATELY appreciate all your help in providing me with this much needed information. Thank you
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yep, that's the culprit, alright. When the window slams down that usually means the balance springs on either side have failed. In your case, you have the coil type balance. See our 15-155 pivot shoe, which uses our Series 170 spring. Keep in mind that you only need to replace what's broken, so if your shoe is in good condition still there's no reason to replace it. As for specifically which Series 170 spring would be best, it would depend on the number printed in your old spring. You'll need to pop it out to see it.
A home owner from Wantagh, NY says:
Thank You Tom, for your time, expertise, and getting back to me in short order. I just placed my order for pivot shoe, 336 series 170 coiled balance spring, and balance drum x 2.
I figure better safe than sorry. Usually, like brakes, you're better off replacing in pairs. And besides, there's a lotta mileage on these windows so its worth the cost.
Thanks again, buddy.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
My pleasure! I agree with you, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the order and please let us know how it works out.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)