SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Certainteed Casement Windows

A distributor from California says:
I live at the beach and my CertainTeed Window hardware system has rusted. I need "complete window" up and down hardware replacement parts (left and right) including the window casement operator. I do not need parts for the locking mechanism, with the exception of the plastic guide noted below

(e.g., bar, window lock etc) as these are still operational. The existing casement operator is a "Truth" part. In reviewing your products, I don't see a duplicate. Your truth Dyad operator 39-315 does not have the same hole attachment configuration. This part shows 3 inches across but my model is 4 15/16 inches across-identical to your part number 39-259R, but mine is a single arm. Also would like your recommendation if there are more durable parts/mfr. that will do better at the beach. I appreciate your help. I also need your part number for the plastic plate guide included in my pics.

Paul
User submitted photo of their casement operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us, Paul. I believe you have the Truth 39-220 and 39-221 operators. You might also want to replace the sash stud brackets, so see our 39-545 and 39-546 as well. The tie bar guide you have is no longer made, but you might be able to use our 39-417 as a replacement. One last thing you may be interested in is a new hinge, as yours appears to be corroded. Take a look at our 36-013-13 stainless steel hinge.

Truth hardware does come powder coated to cut down on corrosion, but as you can see they still will rust by being near salt air. It could help to coat the hardware with a silicone spray to help cut down on that. That said, salt spray is tough to defend against and your options are limited. Check with a local hardware store in your area and see what ideas they have for combating rust.
A home owner from Newport Beach, CA says:
Thanks so much for these part numbers...very helpful and am in the process of ordering. Any suggestion on removing the rusted screws that attach the sash---will strip when removing because of significant rust. Any ideas would be helpful, just don't want to ruin sash so I can put a replacement hinge in.

Thanks, Paul
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Sure, I have a few ideas. I would suggest using a lubricating oil like WD-40 or a liquid wrench. Apply it to the screw and let it set a while, then try to remove. You could also try a little heat like a hair dryer or heat gun on the low setting. That might also help loosen screws, but be very careful with as the heat could warp the vinyl or damage the frame or glass. Only use that if the WD-40 fails!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)