SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Certainteed double hung window has broken springs

A home owner from USA says:
I have a small Certainteed double hung window that has broken springs on the bottom sash. The window is BDH 27 3/4 x 33 1/2 made by Fashonwall 7-20-93. Window number FW93400-2. What spring would I need to do this repair or do I need to replace the whole assembly? Thank you for your help.

Ruth
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure exactly what sash balance you need. Could I see a few pictures of it? That will help us at least get the ball rolling on what you can use as a replacement. You can also browse through our Sash Support Balances and Hardware Section to get an idea of what you may need.
A home owner from St. Clair Shores, MI says:
Attached are pictures showing parts. Can just the spring be replaced or do I need the whole assembly. Springs need to be replaced/repaired on both sides of the lower sash. Thank you - Ruth
A customer submitted image of their balance system.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you, Ruth! I see you have a coil balance system. It's hard to tell based on these images, but I think that shoe looks similar to our 15-155. Do you agree? You should take it out and compare their style and dimensions to be sure.

If so, then the springs would either be our Series 170 or Series 171 coils. See which one you think is closer. You could just replace the springs, but if the rest of the hardware is worn it may not be a bad idea to swap everything out. You can see the related parts on the right side of this page. Also be sure to check out the video below to see how you can replace this kind of hardware.
A home owner from St. Clair Shores, MI says:
I took out the parts and the spring is 3/4" wide and marked 335 SK. Looking at the springs on your site I think I need S170-335

I am attaching a picture. The other parts do not seem too worn and can be reused. If you agree I will go ahead and order above parts. Thanks for your help. - Ruth
User submitted a photo of a coil balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Perfect. Everything seems to match up fairly well. Just double check the dimensions and style to make sure they will fit. As for the coil, if yours is stamped 355 then I think the S170-355 is a great way to go.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)