Certainteed patio door handle lock broke

A home owner from Nevada says:
I have a Certainteed patio door handle that the locking mechanism broke in the locked/closed position. The door is marked NewCastle XT SGC 070-066 and has a double hook mortise lock. I
User submitted a photo of a patio door handle.
My question appears to have been truncated:

I have a Certainteed patio door handle that the locking mechanism broke in the locked/closed position. The door is marked NewCastle XT SGC 070-066 and has a double hook mortise lock. I
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. It could be that the finger latch on your inside handle might have broken. Remove the inside handle and see if you can turn the mortise lock manually with a flat tip screw driver. That might release the lock. In the meantime, I've related a few parts that may match what you have now, which you can view on the right side of this page.
Thank you for the reply. For some reason my message keeps getting cut off, I'll try again:

I have a Certainteed patio door handle that the locking mechanism broke in the locked/closed position. The door is marked NewCastle XT SGC 070-066 and has a double hook mortise lock. I am hoping that it is only the latch lever that broke and it appears that part 82-240 would be the correct replacement part. Any idea on how to take the handle apart with the door in the closed/locked position?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. The 82-240 is certainly a possibility, that's where we were leaning, as well. If you unscrew the handle set and remove it, you can try throwing the lock manually with a screwdriver. That should work.
Thank you for the reply Paul. The problem I am having is that I can not access the screws for handle with the door in the shut position. The frame for the door prevents access to the two screws.
User submitted a photo of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I see what you're talking about. What I have done in this situation was use a hack saw and cut the pull handle away from the base of the handle, allowing you to access the mounting plate screws on the door. Unfortunately, this would mean you'd need a new handle. You may want the help of a local professional, since this could be a tricky issue.
A professional from CA says:
In my experience, taking the handle off will still not allow you to unlock the door.
If you are lucky, the upper hook still works and you have some room in the header.
1)Put the handle in the unlocked position.
2)Lift and pull the bottom hook over the bottom part of the strike.
If this doesn't work, call a pro. Explain the type of lock and the problem. If they don't know what you are talking about, call someone else. You don't need someone learning on your door.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.