SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Certainteed single hung window replacement parts

A quick learner from SE MI says:
I have a Certainteed vinyl window that the balance coils have broken. One is broke, the other is cracked in half and near full break. I am unable read the coil numbers (due to rust).

The window that slides measures 45" x 17.25" with what appears to be a 1" width channel. The windows are originals from 1998/1999.

I have attached pictures to help.

Do I only need the coils replaced or should the whole unit attached to the coil be replaced?

Thanks
User submitted photo of their coil balance shoe and balance.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
The pivot shoe looks like it would be the 15-155 CertainTeed Pivot Shoe.

As for the coil balance, it looks like our Series 170 Coil Balance.

Please give us the numbers stamped on your coil balance so we can identify the correct one for you.
As you can see from the pictures, the balance coils have a bit of rust on them. I cannot read the number from the channel slot (tried with a flashlight and mirror). If I remove the pivot foot and the lance spring cover (to remove pivot foot) to be able to read the coil number can I just replace the pivot feet while waiting for the coil balances to ship?

Thanks.
Profile picture of Mike
I would remove the coil balances and check for markings and then order/replace everything in one shot.
Don't I have to remove the pivot shoe to be able to get the coil number? The picture on the right has the portion of the broken coil spring that I assume has the number stamped on it attached to the pivot shoe?

Also, when replacing/repairing this, what all needs to be replaced besides the springs?

Any suggestions on getting the pivot shoe up to the opening at the top of the sash? It seems to be in there tight.

If all goes well, I should have the coil number for you by the weekend.

Thanks for your patience.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at this discussion regarding removing and installing pivot shoe.

You'll only need to replace what is broken, and from what I see the only thing that's broken is the spring.
A quick learner from SE Michigan says:
Hi,

I was able to get the pivot shoe out and it looks like the coil has an "S" and underneath that it looks to be "601".

When replacing the coil and pivot shoe, is there something I can apply (wax/oil/lubricant) in the channel to allow the pivot shoe to temporarily slide easier?

Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
We recommend a wax or silicone-based lubricant. Do not use an oil-based lubricant, it will attract dirt.

As stated earlier, it appears to be a Series 170 Coil Balance.

You will most likely have to remove your window sash and get the weight (in lbs.) to confirm the correct stamp option.
A quick learner from SE Mich says:
Am I weighting the sash or looking for a label to confirm the correct stamp option?
Profile picture of Mike
You will have to put the sash on a scale to weigh it.
It weighs 20.0 lbs.
Profile picture of Paul
Please take a look at our S170-407 Coiled Balance Spring.
THANKS! Just placed the order.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)