SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Certainteed window - limited access mechanism

A quick learner from Ben Lomond, Ca says:
Window installed in 2000 - 2001. Need to replace broken limited access mechanism. Label on window is CertainteedE1.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Could you show us a picture of the access mechanism in question? I don't know what you need but pictures will help us find a match. Thanks!
A quick learner from Ben Lomond, Ca says:
See attached pictures of the limited access mechanism that needs replacement.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Aha, I see. This part is known as a vent lock. See our 26-148 for a possible match, though I'm not 100% sure that's a match. You will need to carefully compare our dimensions and style to your hardware to confirm that they're the same.
A quick learner says:
Are there any instructions on how you remove and/or replace a vent lock (assuming I find a match)?
Profile picture of Tom
I'm not sure if this vent lock can be removed without breaking it. Once they're installed, they're not meant to come out. It's frustrating but that is how the manufacturer designed them to be.
A quick learner says:
The vent lock is already broken, so that's not the problem. I just want to be able to remove it without hurting the window frame. Is there anyone at SWISCO who can guide me in how to safely remove the broken lock and replace it with the new one I have ordered from you?
Profile picture of Tom
There really isn't a trick to it, but try this. Slip a flat putty knife at the top behind the flange of the vent latch, then push it down while trying to force it out. This should break off the top clip of the vent latch.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)