SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Certainteed windows won't stay up

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
I am trying to fix a Certainteed Window that won
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like you have a window balance issue, but I can't make out what you have based on these picture. A window balance is usually a spring mechanism located in either side jamb track. I do not see any in your window. Could you take a clearer picture of the balance? You might want to remove the sash first.
A home owner from Allendale, NJ says:
I have more pictures that show the window and parts in more detail. I believe I need the springs on each side of the window. Please explain if I just need the spring or the full replacement part. Please let me know how much the parts will cost and shipping. Also how long would it take to receive?
Thanks,
Erin
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Perfect, just what we needed to see. This is a coil balance system. You could possibly replace the spring, if that's all that's broken. The great part about this kind of balance is that you can just swap out the individual pieces and re-use the rest. Just in case, I'll give you the full list of what I think will match.

Please see our 15-155 pivot shoe, 15-156 spring cover, 15-157 balance drum, 33-072 screw, and Series 170 spring. You will need the number printed on your current spring to identify the best Series 170 option.
A quick learner says:
The number on the spring is 408 with the letter J on the next line down. Does this sound correct for what I need?

I will follow your advice and purchase two complete sets of parts just in case.

Can you list them all out and tell me how to order them?

Thanks,
Erin

Profile picture of Tom
If your stamp reads 408, then I think the S170-408 is probably a safe bet. All orders can be placed directly on our site. You can actually click on the links I provided in my previous post to visit each part's store page for more detailed information such as dimensions. This will also allow you to add the products to your cart, should you wish to purchase them.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)