SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Champion Spiral Non Tilt Balance

A home owner from Houston says:
I am having difficulty identifying the spiral non tilt balance for a Champion window. I was unable to remove the balance to send a picture. Unable to weigh window sash. Could not remove window. The Spiral Balance is 29 inches long with 3/8 inch diameter. The tip looks blue. The Sash Carrier Bracket is Product # 15-073 with a Rivet, Product # 62-008. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sure, we can definitely help. It sounds like you have a builder's grade window, which is a type of window which wasn't designed to be repaired. It's frustrating, but we have a way around it.

First, make sure you have a friend to help you out. You'll need the extra pair of hands. Have your friend hold the sash up as you disconnect the balance from the sash, then gently lower it. Unscrew the balance at the top and try your best to work it out from the top. At 29" long, it may not be easy, but that's the only option available. With a little patience you should be able to get it out.

Now, let's talk about your replacement options. I'm pretty sure we can make this, I just want to confirm a few things. Specifically, you mention that the diameter is 3/8", but that you have a Blue Tip. Blue Tips are usually only on 5/8" diameter balances. Could you confirm these two details?

I'm thinking of setting you up with an S900-29 balance with a 15-073 shoe, which is a fairly common request, but I will need to know what color tip to give you. This is a custom order, so once you confirm the tip and how many you need I can shoot an order form and price quote over to you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)