SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Champion single hung windows

A home owner from San Antonio says:
I have the Champion, single hung, non tilt windows. As you know, these balances are difficult to remove. Is it possible for me to remove the current carrier bracket, and replace it with a new rivet and bracket while the balance is still attached to the window? I know I can get the old rivet and bracket off, I'm not sure about putting the new bracket/rivet on while it's still in the window. Also, can you post a video showing how to replace the balance in a Champion, single hung, non tilt window?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid that you are going to have to remove the balance even if you are just changing the shoe and rivet. To remove the balance, you will first need to remove the top window stops. Then, raise the sash and unhook the shoe from the bottom with our 75-004 tool (or a pair of needle nose pliers if you're in a pinch). Lower the sash to the sill and unscrew the balance at the top of the track, then raise the sash to top again and have someone hold it up while you work the balance tube down, carefully removing it.

To install a new or repaired balance, close the sash and drop the balance in from the top. Screw the in the tube, raise the sash, and charge the balance with 75-004 tool. Three or four turns should do it. The last thing you have to do is hook it to the sash.

We do not currently have a video on this, but we are working on it now. Thanks for your patience!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)