SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Champion window balance--how to remove the sash?

A home owner from Houston says:
Hi,

I have champion single hung windows that won't stay up when I open them. Two handymen came and said I need to change the balances but the manufacturer is out of business so they can't find the parts. Now I've removed the balance and hope I can fix it by myself.

The balance is round spiral type, 3/8" and the length of the tube is 29". The size of the window is 58"*35".

What bothers me is that I can't remove the sash. I searched internet and youtube for several tutorials, but I couldn't find any latches to remove the sash! I'm wondering can the balance be replaced even when the sash is not removed? I remove the balance without removing the sash because the spiral and tube are separated(Is it because the balance is broken?) Any suggestion will be helpful. Thank you!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. Unfortunately, in some cases, the sash for non-tilt windows can't be removed at all. Those kind of windows just aren't meant to be repaired.

Now, as frustrating as that is, not all hope is lost. Just because they aren't meant to be repaired doesn't mean that they can't be repaired. You will just have to try to install it with the sash still in. Try dropping the balance in from the top of the sash, then lifting it up and connecting it. You may need another person to help you out.
A quick learner from Houston says:
I think I can find a way to insert the balance.
How do I order the balance and the clips from you? I think the parts are the same as this one.

http://www.swisco.com/discussions/Help-identifying-spiral-balance-for-Champion-Window-77-28377
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I agree, a Series 306 spiral balance with a 15-073 looks like a pretty good match. Though, it's hard to tell if you have a 15-073 from your picture. If you confirm that that is what it is, though, then we'll work with that.

We can make this balance for you, but before we can begin we will need to get the weight of your sash somehow. It will be very hard to get without being able to remove it, but I have an idea. I recommend placing a common bathroom scale on the sill, then gently lowering the sash onto it. It won't be exact, but it might be the best we can hope for. Let me know what you get.
A home owner from Houston says:
Thanks for your support. I put the scale on the floow and lift the sash, make my weight 20lb heavier. I think this can be the estimate weight of the sash.
Profile picture of Tom
Great. Thanks for the additional information. Check out this Spiral Balance Request Form that I've made for you based on your specifications. Once you fill out and submit the rest of the information, one of our representatives will get back to you with a price quote.
A quick learner from Houston says:
Hi, Sorry, one more question. Do I need 62-008 to connect the balance and the clip 15-073? How many do I need for each balance?

Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
No, if you fill out that custom order form, then we will attach the 15-073 for you. You may need the 75-005 charging tool, though.
A quick learner from Spring Texas says:
I have almost the same issues as this person. I have to order four new balancers with the
15-073 clip. How do you tension the balancer and then attach the clip to the window? The how to tension guide is self explanatory but the clip is different (I wish these windows had that design).
Profile picture of Paul
Unfortunately, these window sashes don't come out to allow an easy installation. To remove the old balance, you first have to disengage the existing balance clip from sash and unscrew the top screw holding the balance. Then, let the balance tube drop down, raise the sash up and, while holding the sash up, remove old balance. To install the new balance, raise sash up slide the balance up behind the sash. Lower the sash and screw the balance to top hole in the track. At this point you're basically just reversing the process. Now, raise the sash and, again, while someone else is holding it up, wind the spiral up to give it tension. Finally, you will slide the shoe behind sash and clip it in.
A quick learner from spring tx says:
OK thanks. Somewhere I saw a custom order form I need 29" 3/8" with the red bearings and the 15-073 clips attached. I need 4 of them as well as the tensioning tool. can you direct me to that form?
Profile picture of Paul
I believe we posted that form in one of our responses above. You can see it by visiting this link. Once you have filled out all the information, one of our representatives will get back to you with a price quote and an item to add to your cart.
A quick learner from Schertz says:
I just finally got one of my sashes in, that was a pain.... but I don't have them both in and I am noticing that there is absolutely no tension... is that because I have not tightened up enough or ?
Profile picture of Paul
Yes, it sounds like the balance needs more tension. With the sash installed in the window, raise it up and have someone hold it there. While the sash is up, give the balance another two turns clockwise. If still not enough, repeat another two turns. That should do it.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)