SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Channel Balance 20" 19 4 JP

A home owner from Yorba Linda, CA says:
Hi, I have a 20" 19 4 JP Caldwell channel Balance that needs replacing. It looks like it has a 19005 top but I can't tell the difference between the 15-004 and the 15-005 shoes so it's either an S380 or an S385. Would either one work? The only difference I can tell in the shoe is that the 004 may extend from the channel a little bit more than the 005. Mine extends 3/8" from the channel and 1/4" past the end of the channel.
John
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, John. Please take a look at the dimensions for our 15-004 and 15-005 channel balance shoes, and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-3/32" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely matches your own bottom attachment?
A home owner from Yorba Linda, CA says:
Thanks, Tom.

It measures 1-3/32" so it's a 15-004. I'll order the
S385 with option 1940. I assume the 19 4 stamp refers to the 1940 option for spring tension.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I agree--the 19 4 option generally associates with our 1940 option. However, you may want to double check, just in case. It couldn't hurt. The 1940 can support a window sash weight range of 14 through 17 pounds.

Please keep in mind that the weight range information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)