SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Atrium Window Channel Balance

A professional says:
I am trying to identify which channel balance is best to replace a broken one. I worked for a window manufacturer but they used coils. The balance is used by Atrium windows. The markings stamped on the balance are: 86A 27-4 DD5 CMC 87. I'm guessing that the 27-4 is the weight of the sash? Maybe your 2740? I think your clips that match best are 19-005, 15-005 series 380. The metal channel is 28" long. I need help confirming that this would work for our windows. This is an apartment building with well over 200 windows. Thank you.
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I actually think your balance may be a special kind of balance that must be custom made, though I can't be certain. Could I see what the underside of your bottom shoe looks like? There should also be a metal clip at the end of the string. May I see a few pictures of that, as well? Finally, can you confirm the length of the metal channel?
A professional says:
Thanks for your reply. Here are a couple more pictures of the plastic clips, the pulleys and whats left of the strings and metal hook. The metal channel is 28" long.
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us! It appears I was mistaken. This is a standard channel balance after all! You just have an oddly-styled bottom shoe, but it shouldn't be anything we can't replace.

Before I can offer an applicable replacement for this channel balance, I just need to know a bit more information about that bottom attachment. Please take a look at our 15-004 and 15-005 channel balance shoes, and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-3/32" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely matches your own bottom attachment?

Can you also give me the weight of your sash? Your stamp of 27-4 makes me think that you could use the 2740 option, but the 86A that precedes it throws me off. I'd like to know your sash weight just in case.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)