Channel Balance

A quick learner from Florida says:
I have a new house that uses S350-31 channel balance in the windows. The windows measure 51 x 32 and are single pane. It is very difficult to raise and lower the window with the balance installed. It is marked as 3050. Would I be able to use a 3040 weight and still be able to have the window stay open without drifting or falling.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
How old are your balances? As they get old, the springs tend to get stiff. The 3040 very well may creep down. It really depends on the weight of your sash. We have a list of all options under the S350-31 and how much weight each one can support. I recommend you weigh your sash on a scale to determine the best option to use.
A quick learner from Florida says:
The house is only 2 years old. The window in question just recently started to be difficult to raise or lower. Living in Florida, we keep the AC on more than keep the windows open. Would using the 3040 instead of the 3050 help to raise and lower the window. It is difficult to remove the window just to weigh it. Are there any detriments if I replace the balance. Could the difficulty be associated with another problem?
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It's not difficult to remove the sash at all. Check out the video below:
There could be other problems, but they are uncommon for a relatively new window. I think it's more likely that your balances were given a spring strength disproportionate to the sash weight. Once you determine how heavy your sash is, we can know for sure. If your springs are the correct strength, then we can try to explore other options.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.