Channel Balance

A home owner from USA says:
I am trying to match a channel balance and sash guide...when I type in the stamp number to help identify the balance it measures metal end to metal end 35" but the shoe, top and sash guides don't match...the stamp is 3440 PR BSI....the sash weight is 50 lbs...I have attached pictures with measurements...thank you for you assistance..
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Stamp numbers actually only tell you how strong the spring is, it is not a part number. I recommend looking at our Series 380 channel balance for a possible replacement and see if the nylon attachments match. Keep in mind your shoe may have worn down over age, which would account for a depth of 7/8", not 1". Even if your original shoe depth was 7/8", you could file down the Series 380 shoe if necessary. They do not make a shoe in this style that has that size so that may be your only option.

Please also confirm the weight of your sash. 50 pounds is a lot! Plus, your stamp of 3440 is only meant for sashes that weigh 23 through 30 pounds. If your sash was 50 pounds, these balances would never have been able to support that kind of weight. Please double check.

As for the top sash guide, see our 18-161.
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.