Channel Balance Accessories

A quick learner from Stockton says:
Hi, I had a question maybe you can help with. I purchased some Swisco channel balances and have tried various top and bottom attachments including the original ones. The window will not completely shut, comes about an inch down and stops. I was wondering if I maybe have the wrong spring characteristics- I went with the 2030 option, the sash weighs exactly 12 pounds- could the wrong spring designed for heavier weighted sashes keep the sash from coming all the way down? Thanks
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Thanks so much for your question. To better help you, can you please send us some photos of your original balances including the top and shoe? I need to know if you have a tilt or non-tilt window, plus the width of the channel and the length of the metal part of the balance.
A quick learner from Stockton CA says:
I am asking a general question based on your experience, is it possible that if the weight supported by the spring is not matched correctly the spring extension will also not be right and the window sash may not close?

My window is a non-tilt window. My old channel balance is half inch wide, 21 inch long. I recently ordered the S385-21 option 2030. Sash would not close. I ordered the tools, items etc from Swisco that allow you to change top/bottom attachments. I put the old attachments onto the new balances and the window still would not close. That's why I am thinking it may be the spring tension is not matched correctly? The 2030 option covers 12-15 lb sashes, my window is just at 12 lbs- could it be I need the 2020 option that covers 8-12 lbs? Because I just don't know why the window would not go down all the way even though I have put the old attachments back on the new spring?
Thanks
David
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It might not be the weight. Usually, when the spring strength is an issue, the window either droops when it's opened, or it creeps up when it's closed. When it stops short of closing, I find the issue is actually the length.

I would double check to make sure the length of the new and old balances are identical. Also check where you placed the bottom balance hook. Some window manufacturers punched out two holes on the side of the window track. The bottom hole is for the bottom sash and the top hole is for the top sash. I've personally installed the hook in the wrong hole, only to find the balance's travel reduced, but fortunately it's easy enough to fix by just putting the hook in the right hole.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.