SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Channel Balance S385-30

A home owner from Naples,FL says:
The balance model # S385-30 is the correct model but I ordered the 2910 option and there is not enough support to keep the window up. I am sending pics of the old balance. The back of the old balance is marked " 29 5 CW CMC 10 " I thought that might be the 2910 option but that is not strong enough.
Sincerely, Stan
User submitted photos of a window balance.
A home owner from Naples,FL says:
Just to be on the safe side I took out the window and weighed it. The window weighs 30 lbs which, I suppose would explain why the 2910 option didn't work.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the spring strength is very important. For future reference, you should always remove and weigh the sash, just in case.
A home owner from Naples says:
So I am guessing the 2950, 28-32 lbs. would be the proper spring strength option?? At least I hope so because that is what I ordered earlier today. If not please advise.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Yes, if your window sash weighs 30 pounds and the Series 385 balance measures 30" in length, a pair of 2950 stamped balances are a good choice.

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)