SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Channel Balance Selection 27-1/2"

A quick learner from Fairfax, VA says:
Hi,

One of the channel balances on my window broke (the cord snapped) and I am trying to find a replacement. Per your website I'll replace both so I have two new balances.

Problem is I can't seem to find the right shoe. From your pictures the top is 19-005 (i think). Can you take a look at the images I've attached and point me in the right direction?

The only stamp on the balance reads "27 1/2 3 CK Caldwell".

Thanks,
Tim
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Tim. It looks like you may have something like our 15-004 or 15-005, but I can't tell. Compare your shoe's dimensions to our 15-004 and 15-005 and let me know which is closer. I also see that your shoe has an adjustment screw, but I don't believe that balances are made with this feature anymore. Our shoes will work just the same, though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm also not sure about the stamp. Looks like your original balances may have been custom made. Could you confirm the length of the metal channel? Is it, indeed, 27-1/2" long? Can you also weigh your window sash for me? That will help us determine the best possible option for you. Thanks!
A quick learner says:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response. I checked out the shoe's you suggested and i think 15-005 is the closest fit. It isn't the exact same thing, but hopefully it will do.

The length of the metal channel is actually 28 1/2 inches long. The sash weights 20.8 pounds.

Thanks again for your help.

-Tim
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks! That helps clear things up. This balance will have to be custom made, since that is not a standard length. Take a look at this Custom Channel balance Order Form that I have started for you and fill out the rest of the information. One of our representatives will get in touch with you shortly thereafter!
A quick learner says:
Thank you Paul. You have been a great help. I just submitted the form.

Thanks again!
-Tim
Profile picture of Paul
No, Tim, thank you! Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)