SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Channel Balance for Viking Window

A handy person from Mountain View says:
I am looking for a channel balance replacement for a Viking non-tilt window. The stamp on the aluminum window frame between the glass reads "VIKING/TEMPSEAL A.L.I. VI-1 CLASS A".

The stamp on the existing channel balance reads "2820" followed by what looks like an upside down "T" and the abbreviation "B.S.I." stamped perpendicular to the numbers. The metal portion of the channel balance is 28" long and 1/2" wide.

What is the equivalent Swisco part?
User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at our S395-28 S395-29 and let me know if this is a good match for your balance. I would, of course, also recommend the 2820 option.
The S395-28 seems like the right item. Can you please clarify the Stamp Option? My existing channel balance has 2820 stamped on it and you also recommended the 2820 option. However, 2820 is not an available stamp option on the S395-28. There is a 2720 stamp option available. In fact, it looks like the first two numbers of the stamp option are always 1 less than the length of the metal channel. My sash weighs 12.5 pounds so the 2720 stamp option seems appropriate. Is there a reason why the original channel balance would be stamped 2820 but the equivalent Swisco part would come with the 2720 stamp option?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, sorry about that. That was a typo on my part. I meant to recommend the S395-29. If the stamp reads "2820," the length of the metal channel should be 29", not 28". As you mentioned, the first two digits are always one less than the length. Please double check to be sure.
You are correct. The metal channel is 29" long as shown in the picture. Thank you for the clarification.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)