SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Channel Balance from old Alcan Windows 26 inches

A landlord from Masset, BC, Canada says:
The metal channel is 26 inches long. On the back of the metal the letters " 25A " are engraved. The interior of the channel contains 3 spools in a little pulley style system. The channel is 9/16 inches deep. The foot at the bottom end of the channel looks like a backhoe, and has no identifying marks on it. The coil spring which is supposed to go in the channel is 6 3/4 inches long. The channel has one horizontal "pin" about 3.5 inches from the top. It was taken out of an old (40 years at least) Alcan non-tilting window. Any help identifying would be appreciated, we need to replace quite a few of these parts in our old windows. Thank you!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I can't identify what you have based on this picture alone. I recommend that you look at our Channel Balance Home Page and follow the steps in order to find the Series that best matches what you have.
A landlord from Masset, BC Canada says:
Hi Tom -- Would it be helpful to have a picture of the other end of the channel balance, for identification? Also, what are the features we should be looking at for identification, when we use the home page to find the series? How closely do the plastic parts need to match in order to be functional? Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Seeing the other end would help us find a match, yes. In terms of matching your Series, it's important that the two nylon ends are the same size and more or less the same shape. You also need to confirm whether your ends have wings or not. Your bottom shoe, I can see, does not have wings.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)