Channel Balancer

A quick learner from Longport NJ says:
Repairman skipped town with the four balance rs from our 40 Yr old townhouse in Longport NJ. Original Builder grade Double Hung are side by side 36 wide by 30" high top and bottom sash. Windows are 1/2 Inch insulated glass and in very goog condition considering their age. Like to figure out the correct length since I think I can identify the correct plastic parts that were all broken. I think the original manufacture by Kinkston or Kingley? I can measure the space between the attach points on the frames. Recollect they may have been between 16 to 18" Long and since such heavy sash 1/2" width. Are there the same channel balancers in the top sash? I would purchase pair of each you think might work

John
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Without the originals on hand, it would be very hard to determine what you need. I would check to see if there is an identical window in the house that may still use the same hardware that you can use as a reference.
Thank you Paul

I will do more research this weekend and get back to you

JUohn

Windows by Acorn per original builder memory. Side by side 36"W x 72' high non tilt. Picture shows a brown plastic (genius design) remnant broken retainer clip in left side channel about 3" from top frame cross member. The original balancers top clip secured here (Slot shows in picture of right side channel) and apparently secured at bottom of channel frame slotted channel frame guide about 1" up from bottom frame cross member. Hope this is sufficient info to get me what I need to get all back to normal operation. Thanks

John

User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
I'm afraid I don't recognize that brown plastic piece. I'm not sure what it could be. To confirm if you have an Acorn side load balance, see if your top sash guide looks like our 18-041. If not, remove yours and send a photo of it to us. We would also need dimensions. Finally, give us the width and height of the visible glass for this sash.

Acorn 3500 non tilt with additional information.

Confirmed the top connector broken piece is remnant of 19-009 and visible glass is 33" high X 31" wide. Side Channel top slot to bottom connection is 32.5" and appears the 15-003 winged connector will work best. I would like to try two of the suggested replacement balancers with 19-009 top and 15-003 bottom, plus the 15-004 spares with pins just in case.

Profile picture of Paul
Thank you for the additional information. The Acorn Series 3500 window balance will be our S710-35 with a spring weight option of 3440, for a sash weight range between 23-30 lbs.
Hi Paul

After checking out your comments have confirmed the brown plastic remnant found in the channel slot up top is a 19-009. Checking other answer postings feel confident the 28" Series 385 balance 2740 or 50 is my correct type. Only issue is the weight which is definitely in the range I selected. The bottom connector on this unit is 15-004 winged style that will attach to the bottom cut out of the side channel rails. Top connector 19-009 and winged bottom plus visible glass height of 32.5". I would like to order two with whatever additional components you suggest will get me back in operation, The windows were always hernia creators even when new. Will be needing screens if the plan works.
Paul

Thanks for quick response. Please check out the max visible glass height is 32.5 and 35" channel will not fit. I originally told you the windows were 36 X 36 but actually in 33' h by 32" wide range. I do believe the channel should be 28" to allow top clip to insert in the cut out up top and connect to bottom no more than 1" from bottom of the frame? What do you suggest?

John
Profile picture of Paul
I'm sorry, I'm confused. You say that your balance has the 19-009 top, but you also say that the Series 385 is a match for what you have. However, Series 385 comes with a 19-005 top, not the 19-009. Can you confirm? Is there any reason the S710-35 that we recommended wouldn't work?

Can you also confirm the exact weight of the sash?
A quick learner from 08403 Longport NJ says:
Paul
Clarification - I do not have a balancer only broken brown remnant (picture above) that looks like Acorn 19-009

Leaning toward the 385 since the Top 19-005 appears it will be ok for clip into the slot same as 19-009. The 28" length measure same as space between the top slot and channel indent at bottom to connect with the winged shoe 15-004 better than any of the S710 series. In your opinion will the 19-005 top cause problem since it looks very similar in function? I would like your best suggestion since I am willing to place order and continue quest for right combo. 710 top good, bottom connector needs wings since no other apertures in bottom channel to connect
Profile picture of Paul
I don't advise going with the 19-005 top. The wings of the 19-005 isn't made to work with Acorn windows, which is what you have. It won't fit in the groove like the 19-009 will. The Series 710 is specifically designed for Acorn windows. Now, without the original balances on hand to use as a reference, I cannot be 100% sure these will work, but I think they are the best option we have. I would specifically recommend the S710-29 with a 2840 option.
Thanks Paul.

Lets try the S710/19-009 top with 2840 Option. I will order two and add spare 15-004 winged bottoms since there is no other way the bottom can connect by my inspection of each window channel. Seems like logical place to start. Appreciate your patience and guidance.

John
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you for your order! If you ever need anything else, let me know. I'd also like to hear if this hardware works out. If you run into any problems, I'm sure we can find a solution.
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.