SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Channel Balances for Kinko windows

A quick learner from Jacksonville, FL says:
My channel balances are failing fairly often now. They may be series 351 29" length. I am attaching some pictures. They are stamped as follows: 28 3 B0 (or 80) CALDWELL.

Please tell me what type/size you think I need to order.

Thanks.

A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! You may have an S351-29, but please double check the dimensions of your attachments; in particular, your bottom shoe. We highly recommend that you get as exact a measurement as possible.

If that is, indeed, your Series, you would also want to choose the 2830 stamp option.
A quick learner from Jacksonville, FL says:
Thank you. The dimensions seem to match. I had some of these professionally replaced recently and on the invoice they indicated a 2840 for the same size window (35"W) and a 2850 put on a larger, 47"W, window. Do you still think 2830 is the right one for the 35"w window? Also, do you have exterior bead for these windows. Some of that is cracked and I can't get the pros to return for that. Is that a DIY project? Thanks again.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The stamp option for a channel balance actually determines the weight capacity for your balances. For an S351-29, a 2830 stamp option carries a weight range of 16 through 23 lbs, while a 2840 stamp option carries a weight range of 23 through 28 lbs. Lastly, a 2850 stamp option has a weight range of 28 through 32 lbs.

Keep in mind that this information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.

Please weigh your sash and let us know what its weight is; or, choose which option you think is most appropriate.

As for your glazing bead, we may have a replacement for you, but I can't tell right now without first seeing a profile picture of your current bead. If you could remove a small sample of it and take a picture of it for us to identify, I can let you know.

You may also find this video tutorial on how to replace snap-in glazing helpful:
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)