Channel balance can't support sash weight

A quick learner from Santa Clara, CA says:
I received and installed this window channel (S 385-32, opt 3130 )balance but found it's not strong enough to support my window (window cannot stay fully open by itself). My window weights 44 lbs so I chose the 3130 option since the sash weight range is 16-23 lbs but it appears I need a stronger pair. Also the window balance makes a lot of noise during open and close. Could you provide a recommended weight option for my case?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sorry to hear about the trouble. It sounds like you divided the sash weight in half to determine your option, which is not the proper method. Our weight range chart is designed with both balances in mind. The balances you ordered are two weak by half.

44 pounds is actually a pretty heavy sash. You may need your balances to be custom made. Can you tell me what the stamp on your old balance read? Can you also tell me how many balance you would need?
A quick learner from Santa Clara says:
Attached is a photo my old balance and it appears the stamp reads "31 9". Each 44 lbs window has two balances on each side. Could you provide a quote for 1 and 3 pairs of the custom made balances?
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting, could you take a photo of the spring so we can help identify the proper part?
A quick learner from Santa Clara says:
Attached are two photos of my old window balance. Let me know if any additional information is needed.

Besides, it looks like my window can stay half open with the 3130 balance. I'm wondering if a regular stronger balance, say option 3150, can do the job instead of a custom made one?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see the problem right away. You do not have the Series 385 balance. You have a unique type that needs to be custom made. It's actually not compatible with any of our standard balances at all. This explains all the issues you've been having.

Can you confirm the length of the metal channel? It should be 31-5/8". Can you also tell me how many you need? Once I know that I can send you a custom order form with a price quote.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.