SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Channel bar for older Alenco, c2545

A quick learner from California says:
Hi

Alenco window 44"w x 29"h. Approx 20 yrs old.
Channel bar is 26" in length, with spring at the top.
p/n is k C2545.
Spring jammed up and pulled out top rivet, and string broke.

thanks for help,

-Bill
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Bill. I think we can help replace this, but I will need a bit more information. First, is there anything attached to the end of the cord? If so, I'd like to see it. That would help us find the right Series. Also, can you show us how it attaches at the top?
A quick learner from Calif says:
Hi Tom
thanks for help.

The spring is fixed at top of channel bar - I think a rivet goes thru bar and spring is attached to that. That rivet broke.

The channel bar fixes to the window frame with just one screw. Pretty weak. Sure looks like new design has improved on things.

The string attaches to window hinge via the small anchor - see the picture.

To get the window out of frame, I release it with tabs on each side, rotate window 90 degrees and it lifts out of the small slider hinge. The hinge stays locked in the window frame track. I can release the hinge by twisting with a flat screw driver in the slot/hole and hold firmly, since the spring will pull it up.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! That's just what we needed to see. Take a look at our Series 770 channel balance, this appears to match. This also installs with one screw at the top, but it has a nylon screw way that should make it a little sturdier.
A quick learner from Calif says:
Tom
This is great.
I had glanced at the 770 before - but that nylon spacer threw me off. On further study, this should work.

I will order online.

Now that I know how to take these windows apart, I have 2 more springs to look at this weekend. Decent windows in their day, but at 21 years of California sun, they are showing their age.

thanks much, very helpful
Profile picture of Tom
My pleasure! Let me know if you need anything else.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)