SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Choosing a Casement Operator

A quick learner from Seattle, WA says:
I have four old casement windows (see attached photos) that have no operators/cranks. When they're open, the wind blows them back and forth often slamming them with alarming force. I would like to preserve these windows and be able to open them with ease and not worry that they will slam. Is it possible to install a operator with a crank, such as the 39-020 and 39-021? The window sashes are about 23" wide.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
In this instance, I think you may want to consider something like our 39-077 instead. This seems like a more simple solution to me. See what you think.
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your time!

How far would this allow me to open the window? I would like to be able to open the window as close to 180 degrees as possible. A crank would also make it easier for me to open and close the windows. What are the benefits and failings of each option?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
On the 39-077 brass adjuster, there is a center pivot which the bar slips into which can turn 360 degrees. You tighten up the screw to stop the sash where you want it. I believe when installing the 39-077, the closer you mount it to the hinge side of the window the further it will open.
Thank you, Dave! One more question: does the side with the screw (that stops the bar/sash) screw into to the sill? If so, does the other side screw into the sash? In the photo, the screw plates both appear to face down, so I'm curious if one side swivels 90 degrees to allow it to attached to the window...or if the side with the screw might attach to the frame instead of the sill, so that both screw plates are on the same plane.
Profile picture of Dave
Sure, it was my pleasure! The base which holds the adjustment screw mounts into the base of the window sill with four screws. The sash bar will turn so that you can mount that into the sash with two screws.
Would the 39-268 work for me, if I was willing to give up the 180-degree movement (please see previous comments)? I have to reach over my desk to operate the windows, and a crank would be most useful. If there is an issue with the crank (e.g. maybe it doesn't work well with older windows that might stick a little when opening and closing), please let me know that the issues might be, so that I can figure that into my decision.

Thank you, so much!!
Profile picture of Dave
Actually the 39-268 operator was often used in older wood sash casement windows like yours, so that's another great match. You also say that you have to reach over a desk and the longer crank handle might be easier for you to operate the window.
Thank you; that's great news!!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)