SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Clean and lube spiral balances

A quick learner from Florida says:
Hi,

Is there a way to clean and lube he spiral balances without removing them from the window?
I removed a pair and after thorough cleaning and lubing, that window is perfect!
I just wanted to prevent the additional work of removing the rest of them. All my windows are hard to open (single hung) with the exception of the one I removed and cleaned.

Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Can your window sashes tilt in? If so, you can tilt it in and remove it to expose the spiral and lubricate the spiral from there. If not, you will need to remove the balances in order to lubricate them.
A quick learner from Miami says:
Thank you Paul. They are non tilt. I sprayed the balance tube and let the lube run down the tube and down the spiral. It seemed to work because the windows are much smoother. Let's see if the remain smooth for some time.

I appreciate your reply and all the posts that helped me throughout this project.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)