SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Clips for S500 29" spiral balance

A handy person from East Texas says:
Hello -
This is my first attempt at installing a spiral balance. I just ordered ten S500 balances, but I assume that there must be some type of clip that fits in the bottom of the window frame. I have attached a picture which shows the hook end of the balance.

Please let me know if these clips are needed. If so, please add them to my order and charge my account. Also, is there a video or written instructions on how to install the balances?

User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I can actually can see a clip attached to the side of the sash in your picture already, and while it's a little dusty it seems to still be in usable condition.

With someone helping you, you will need to drop the new balance in from the top of the sash, screw it in at the top, then let the spiral drop down. You will then raise the sash and, while someone holds the sash in the open position, spin the spiral up to the bottom of the sash. Finally, with our 75-004 tool, give the balance about three turns to charge it and lock it to the end into the sash clip.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)