SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Close but doesn't fit

A quick learner from Ladera Ranch, California says:
I purchased the 15-004 Channel Balance Shoe, Winged, but there is a lip on the part I received that my old part does not have. I tried modifying two of them, which kind of works, but it feels a little weak. I've measured the existing one and attached pictures of the new one next the old one. Can you please let me know if you have a better match (no lip in the center portion) which I won't need to modify? I have 6 left I'd like to return/exchange if you have a better matching part for me. thanks for your help!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure why the 15-004 didn't work. I know the style is a little different but it should still fit. Could I see a few pictures of the balance in question? That may help us determine the problem.
A quick learner from Ladera Ranch, California says:
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the quick reply. Here are two closer up pictures with the balance and the shoes. There is a bracket that holds the end of the pulleys attached to the spring. The metal bracket is what is interfering with the plastic part. I shot a quick video file, but its 98Mb so I sent you these pictures first. If it helps I can FTP or share the video file with you via YouTube or something.
Thanks
Dennis

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see the problem. I'm afraid you have an old Caldwell balance. Modern shoes won't fit in this balance channel. I think it may be time for new balances altogether. When shoes break, it's usually a sign that the balance isn't far behind.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)