SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Closer identification

A quick learner says:
Hi,

I am actually looking for 3 new screen/storm door closers. However I have been having trouble finding the right combination of features in a single part to meet my needs.

First off my screen/storm doors are quite heavy duty (they are 1 3/4" doors). They are also about 7' tall. So they weight quite a bit. In addition there is just a gap of 2 1/8" between the screen door and the main door. My house is on the ocean in the north east, so the units must be salt tolerant.

I would like a closer that can both hold the doors open as well as automatically retract them. Ideally the closer would fit between the main door, and the screen door, rather than sitting on the outside of the door.

Can you suggest any alternatives?

Thanks!

-- Ken
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Ken, thanks for posting. I'm not sure we have anything that can perform that exact function, but you might want to use a door closers like our 40-077, 40-154, or even our 40-181. Then, you could use our 40-036 door chain.

For these big heavy doors, handy people have been known to use two door closers, on the top and bottom.
A quick learner says:
Can you confirm that all of these options will fit between my doors? Can you also confirm that they will all handle the weight of my doors? At what weight would I know I needed two closers?
Profile picture of Dave
I think they're a good place to start, but you should double check the dimensions we list on our site and compare them to your door to make sure that they will fit. Without having your door in front of me, I can't be one hundred percent sure.

As for whether or not they can support the weight, I simply cannot say. That's why I suggested the possibility of using two closers, one on the top and one on the bottom. Sometimes that helps bear the load of heavy doors. You will have to use your best judgement.
A quick learner says:
Hi Dave, I have looked at the instructions here (http://www.swisco.com/discussions/How-do-I-install-the-40-181-77-13001) and the 40-181 web page here (http://www.swisco.com/Heavy-Duty-Closer/pd/Other-Replacement-Storm-Door-Hardware/40-181) and I do not see dimensions, or minimum door dimensions (mine as I said is 2 1/8") required to install the closer. So what dimensions are you referring to on your site?

-- Ken
Profile picture of Dave
Well, our 40-181 closer has that large coil spring on the end, which makes me think it might need about 3" clearance between the doors. If you had to, you would have to install the 40-181 on the outside of the door.

You may also want to check out our 40-015 closer with torsion bar. These closers are used with the steel security storm doors, and although your two doors are very close together, I think it could fit.
A quick learner says:
Could you tell me the actual dimensions of these products so I don't have to guess?

-- Ken
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Certainly! Our 40-181's tube is approximately 10" long, while our 40-015 and 40-077 have tubes that are approximately 10-3/4" long. Finally, our 40-154 has a tube that is approximately 10-9/16" long.

Hopefully this information helps. If you need anything more specific, please tell me exactly what and I'd be happy to run back and measure for you.
A quick learner says:
Tom, if you read my posts above, you will see that the lengths are not what I am concerned about. I am interested in the required width between two doors (the main door, and the storm/screen door).

-- Ken
Profile picture of Dave
Hey, I measured up my own door just last night, which uses the standard size closers. Our 40-015, 40-077, and 40-154 are used for doors who have a distance of 2-1/2" between them. However, I don't have a door that uses our 40-181. I'd imagine that you can just compensate the size of the barrel.
A quick learner says:
What do you mean by "compensate the size of the barrel"?
Profile picture of Dave
The 40-181 is bigger, since it has that big barrel on it that houses the coil spring. Like I said in an earlier post, it looks like it will require 3" clearance, but since I don't have a door that uses it myself I can't say for certain.
A quick learner says:
Ok, so it sounds like all of your closers are too large for my application. That is unfortunate.

Thanks...
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)