SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Coil Balance inquiry

A home owner from USA says:
i need to replace a coil spring. the part # marked on it is omega 5.5 33 and pat# 5232208... i believe its in your 160 series but the 33 is a coil length and i don't know what one to get. there is also 1.21/1.32 from the tip to the open notch. thank you for your help Ron
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Ron. I'm not sure what those stamps represent, exactly. Are those numbers just on the spring itself, or did you get them from the shoe or clip? You only want the stamp on the spring.

Another way we can figure it out is if you were to give us the weight of your sash and exactly how many coils are used on each side. From there, we can calculate which version of the Series 160 you need.
A quick learner says:
it came from the spring itself.. the pat# is easy to match but the omega 5.5 33 is not so easy to find.. all of the # are on the spring and from what i can find on the web, is the omega 5.5 is the weight and 33 is the coil spring length.i know you have the pat# 5232208 but not sure of the 5.5 weight or the 33 lenght..

its just one coil on each side
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Oh, I see. In that case I recommend our S160-5. Each one of these springs can support 5.5 pounds. I would wager that's what you need. That means that, working together, two springs can hold a sash weight of 11 pounds. You may want to weigh your sash just to be sure this is correct.
A quick learner says:
thank you i was thinking it was S160-5. also.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)