Coil balance hardware for Gorell windows.

A quick learner from Cedar Lake, IN says:
I bought these 15-087 : Coil Housing Pivots for Gorell double hung windows that were installed 13yrs ago. The balancers have been replaced several 6-8 times in that time and the whole window replaced once trying to solve this issue. Would the balancer with the second section 15-086 work for a replacement. This particular window is opened and closed a lot.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The 15-086 is only used if your balance system has more than one spring. If that is the case, then you should definitely consider the 15-086. If not, I don't think it will help. Can you go into more detail? Exactly how have your old balances failed?
A home owner from Cedar lake IN says:
Paul. Thank you for your response. There is a bala ncern on both sides of the window, but its the single spring style 15-087. The balancer tape breaks and then the whole tape folds up or snaps into little segments, like it is brittle. This is a bedroom window, but it gets opened and closed several times a day to let our flock of cats in and out as they demand. Almost immediately it has been a problem and has been replaced several times by the contractor whom installed them. Plus once they replaced the whole window hoping it was a defect that they weren't seeing that caused the problem.
I just thought having 2 tapes on each side might relieve some of the stress to the single ones. Sometimes 1 balancer causes the problem, sometimes they both let go. Once the installer couldn't have made it a mile or 2 down the road and it let loose again
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. I'm not sure adding more springs will fix your problem. This will just make the balance system stronger, which isn't always a good thing. If it's too strong, you will have trouble closing your window, and in some cases the window will even drift up after being closed.

I have another idea. I think you should consider replacing your balance with an entirely different system, one which perhaps can withstand being opened and closed so frequently. The balance system I have in mind is our Series 795 channel balance. This is a pretty straightforward balance and I believe it will fit in your jamb. However, just to make sure, I'd like to know the height of the bottom sash, the height and width of its visible glass, and the weight of the sash itself. I would also like to see a picture of the pivot bar that interacts with your current shoe. Thank you!
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.