SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Coil spring keeps breaking

A handy person from Berkeley, CA says:
Window brand: Qualitex (I've read it's a re-branded Amerimax window).

Double-glass panels, tilt-out, only the bottom sash slides up and down.

Bottom sash weighs 14.4 pounds and measures 27.5" x 17".

Overall the window measures 29.75" x 34"

Stamping on spring: "DL" on the top spring, "D" on the bottom one.

No other markings anywhere.

The springs break on pretty much a yearly basis. It's been technician-serviced twice. I'm fairly handy, so the second time he left us a bunch of balances so that I could replace them instead of waiting 3 weeks for a technician. I've burned through all the balances *sigh*

I was never sure about the number of coils and such. It looks like the technician possibly drilled an extra hole (for an extra coil perhaps?). It's kind of confusing. I could really use help figuring out the correct set-up (how many springs, and so on).

What I would like to try is maybe replacing the balances with an equivalent three-spring balance, to help distribute the sash weight among them. With any luck this might reduce breakage significantly. I'd really like to try this and I want to ask if this is feasible? I don't mind making modifications if needed.

If not, then I just need to know which springs will get it working again as it is?

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
We might have a simpler solution. You can consider using our S140-7 Quick-Tilt assembly and installing it on the lower screw hole. An S140-7 on each side should be perfect for your sash weight. The caveat is you will have to replace your old pivot bar with either our 26-398 or 26-405. Compare the screw holes on your old pivot bar to one of these and see which is best.
A handy person from Berkeley, CA says:
Thank you for your response. I took the pivot bar out and measured it carefully. I uploaded a photo with dimensions.

It appears the 26-405 is too big. Also, I can't find the 26-308 on your website. What would you recommend I do? Thanks!
User submitted photo of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry, I had made a typo. I meant to suggest our 26-398 pivot bar. You actually appear to have our 26-316, but this will not fit in the S140-7 balance assembly. The 26-398, however, will. Check it out and let me know what you think!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)