SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Coil and Shoe replacement

A home owner from Lansing, MI says:
I have a vinyl double-hung tilt-in Polaris Window, series 7020. The shoe on one side has broken. How do I remove the the coil and old shoe from the window frame, so I can replace the shoe? The vinyl frame does not seem to have enough give in it to pry the coil & shoe out, and there is no notch in the track which would allow them to be removed. Will I need to cut a notch in the track to get them out?

User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, cutting out a notch is possible. We actually have a video on how you can do this, which you can see here.
A home owner from Lansing, MI says:
Thanks! the jam spreader in the video looks like a great tool, but I only had one window, so it was hard to justify buying the spreaders. So I ended up cutting a notch and was able to change the coil & shoe. The notch is only noticeable when the window is tilted in for cleaning. Thanks for your help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)