SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Converting Push-out Casement Windows To Crank-Out

A handy person from Seattle, WA says:
Hello,
I would like to refurbish my old wooden, push-out casement windows (sashes are 55" H x 19" W) and convert them to the crank-out type. Also, I want to use interior, fixed insect screens that would not need those little access doors to get to the latches, which means I'd have to replace the old sash-mounted latches and frame-mounted mortise strikes with a frame-mounted latch and sash keeper. Attached are photos of the current latch and bar hinge (which looks to be similar in type and size to your 36-013-10 two-bar hinge set). Can one of your casement operators work in conjunction with the current hinge set if I adapt the frame for it to sit in the correct position - and also will one of your latch sets work if I adapt the frame for it? I am planning to fashion an interior add-on to the frame to accommodate a screen.
Any help/advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlie
User submitted photo of their old wooden push-out window.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
There are two types of operators. The older style 39-020 & 39-021 with the related track 39-520. We also have the newer style 39-027 and 39-028 with track 39-533 (handles are sold separately).

You might have to replace the hinges with the 36-013-10, but I am not completely sure.

For the screen, you will have build an inside sill cover to get the screen above the operator.
Thanks for your reply, Dave.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume you are suggesting that I follow the procedure described in your DIY Guide Install a Wood Casement Window Crank, in which a track is mounted on the lower inside surface of the sash and a single arm operator is mounted to the sash and coupled with the track. However, the DIY Guide indicates that this type of arrangement only works on sashes mounted with fixed types of hinges, such as butt or pivot hinges. Is this not correct? To use this arrangement, would I not have to remove the bar hinges and remount the sashes using fixed hinges?
I had assumed, with the sliding, bar type hinges on my windows that one of your Dyad operators would be the appropriate choice, since the mechanical action seems to work by pulling or pushing on the lower inside corner of the sash, which slides along the bar hinge, and causes the window to open or close. Please tell me if I have pictured all of this incorrectly.
Also, did you have any thoughts or suggestions on the second part of my original question regarding the changeover to frame-mounted latches?
Thanks again,
Charlie
Profile picture of Dave
I believe you are correct.

Your hinges are similar to the 36-013-10 2-Bar Hinge Set. You will have to use the 39-031 or the 39-032 Casement Operators with the 39-505 EntryGard Track, brackets 39-509 or 39-510. For the lock, take a look at the 38-075 Sash Lock with the 38-089 Keeper. Also, you may want to consider some installation screws like the 33-079 or 33-078.
Thanks for your suggestions, Dave.
I am leaning toward changing to fixed hinges and using the conversion process described in your DIY Guide. The single arm operators (39-027E and 39-028E) that you originally suggested seem appropriate, since they appear to be available in white (I'm assuming you stock them in white, since there is a tick box for white on your Caradco operator web page). I just have a question about the materials of this operator. Are the arm and rotary gear made of hardened steel? The color of the arm in the picture seems a bit too yellow for steel, and I want to be certain that the material will hold up over time. Also, will the folding crank handle (#39-205; for 11/32" spline) fit the spline on this operator?
Thanks again,
Charlie
Profile picture of Dave
Charlie, the 39-027E and 39-028E, replacement operators, have a hardened steel driver worm and gear arm with nylon roller.
Thanks, Dave.
I'll assume the 39-205 folding crank handle will fit the 39-027E and 39-028E splines, since the handle is pictured under "Related Items" on the same web page as the Caradco operators.
I guess that sums it up and it's time for me to place an order.
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
Best regards,
Charlie
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)