SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Counter balance for window replacement

A home owner from Kentucky says:
I need to replace the counter balances in my windows that are 26 years old. I just bought a townhome, and have to keep the same windows or replace them with specific specifications. Therefore, I thought if I could find the counter balance that would work with the certain window that that would be easier.

Here is the information I found for the window:

Mfg stipulates conformity to: ansi/aama 101-85
Mfgr code: NOR-1
Series: 2000DH-R30/DH-C30
Mst: 4776

Thank you for any information you can give me.
Melanie
A customer submitted photo of a spiral balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Melanie. You have what is known as a Spiral Balance. I would be more than happy to help you identify the correct replacement, I just need a bit more information about the balance itself.

First, is your window tilt, or non-tilt? Also, what is the length and diameter of the metal tube?
A quick learner from kentucky says:
Length of silver tube is 24 in for most and 16 in for kitchen dia appears to be 9 16ths inch
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you. I just need to know if these windows are tilt or non-tilt, and I can work from there!
A quick learner from Kentucky says:
I am so sorry! It is tilt. I completely forgot to add that to the previous reply.
Thank you,
Melanie
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! That should be all the information I need. It sounds like you may have a Series 600 spiral balance. Please take a look at our S600-24 with a red tip. Does that look like it will work for you?

Remember that the red tip for this balance can carry a sash weight range of 7 through, and including, 29 pounds. You may want to double check that just in case.

Please keep in mind that the weight range information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
A quick learner from Kentucky says:
What do I need to do to order the replacements? Also, is there a different counter balance I need for the 16 inch one with the 9/16th diameter?

Thank you,
Melanie
Profile picture of Tom
All of our parts can be found on our main site. You can click on the links provided for the S600-24, add the quantity you desire to your cart, and then check out!

As for the 16" balance, please see our S600-16. Now, the red tip option for this shorter balance can support a window sash weight range of 6 through, and including, 18 pounds. Does that match the smaller sash weight? If not, let me know what it is, and I can recommend an appropriate tip color!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)