SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Cracked black plastic in casement window hardware

A home owner from Cranston, RI says:
Hi there. As you can see in the photo, the black plastic piece of the casement window hardware is cracked. Can you please tell me what parts I must buy to replace it? The broken piece is labeled side A (on this window); the same piece on the opposite window, which cranks out in the opposite direction, is labeled B. That one is fine. Thanks in advance for your help.

I was able to find what I believe to be the replacement cranks for these windows on your site, too. They are the 39-205 folding cranks, which had shown a 2108 stamp on the inside ( of the original cranks). I saw in the video clip for that listing that the 39-114L is interchangeable. Do you think the non-folding cranks are better than the folding ones? A total of 4 of the 6 folding cranks that were on our windows busted in a 2 year time period, and I'm wondering if the non-folding are sturdier. The folding ones basically ripped where the hinge pins were. The metal seemed soft and vulnerable.

We are new homeowners who inherited these windows from the previous owners. Are you able to identify the make and possibly model of these windows, or can you tell us how we can determine it ourselves?

Thanks again for your help and advice! It is really appreciated!
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The cracked plastic guide is not available by itself, I'm afraid. You would need to replace the whole hinge. See our 36-013-10 for a possible replacement.
A home owner from Cranston, RI says:
Thanks.

Are you able to advise me on my other questions about these windows?

I was able to find what I believe to be the replacement cranks for these windows on your site, too. They are the 39-205 folding cranks, which had shown a 2108 stamp on the inside ( of the original cranks). I saw in the video clip for that listing that the 39-114L is interchangeable. Do you think the non-folding cranks are better than the folding ones? A total of 4 of the 6 folding cranks that were on our windows busted in a 2 year time period, and I'm wondering if the non-folding are sturdier. The folding ones basically ripped where the hinge pins were. The metal seemed soft and vulnerable.

We are new homeowners who inherited these windows from the previous owners. Are you able to identify the make and possibly model of these windows, or can you tell us how we can determine it ourselves?

Thanks again!
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I believe you are correct that the 39-114L holds up better than the folding 39-205 handle. The 39-114L has less moving parts in it. However I still installed the 39-205 on my windows at home to keep the handle from interfering with the window treatments. At that point it's a matter of preference.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)