SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Crank mechanism shot

A quick learner from Centreville, VA says:
Hi.
I just found your site and placed an order for some tilt-out latches that I've wanted to replace for sometime. Your site is GREAT and I'm glad that I found you since Traco no longer makes my windows.

I have another window that is going to be tougher to match up to parts so I thought I'd send some pictures. The crank mechanism is completely shot.

Please see the pictures and let me know if I can send dimensions or any other info. I'd like to get that window back into working order too.

Thanks so much,
Tim
A customer submitted photo of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Tim! I'm glad to hear that we were able to help you before. We always try to accommodate customers who have hard to find parts, especially parts for windows that aren't even made anymore!

As for this operator, take a look at our 39-341 and 39-342, casement window operators, and compare their dimensions to your own hardware. Do you think that these might be a match? Please let me know!
Hi Dave,
I took measurements this afternoon, really hoping that we had a match, but I don't think so just yet.

Please see my latest photo, touched up with the measurements in red and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Tim
A customer submitted photo of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Thank you for specifying! I see now that your operators are, in fact, a little different. Please take a look at our 39-253L and 39-253R Maxim Dual Arm Operators. Would these work better?
Hi. 39-253L worked perfectly! Thanks.

Now I am looking at the root cause behind the original operator gears wearing out. It turns out that the window sticks in its closed position, causing the user to crank extra hard initially to break free. Once past the stick, the rest of the open/close operation is smooth.

I know that it is not caught on the sliding latch. Something is going on down in the lower corner. My next step is to go outside while someone operates it from inside and see if I can tell from there. I'm hoping that a combination of sandpaper, then some petroleum jelly-like substance will be the cure.

Thoughts welcome.
Regards,
Tim
Profile picture of Dave
Thanks for getting back to us, Tim! I'm glad to hear that our hardware worked for you. As for the root issue, I think what you have planned is a good idea. Let us know how it works out!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)