SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Crank sizing

A handy person from Miami says:
Hi, I note that 39-025 has a 2.25" crank. 39-007 has a 2.5" crank. Mine has a 2.375" crank. Measured it a few times...... The crank is riveted on and removing would be challenging, much less re installing it on a new window crank. So the question is this:

Is it better to be .125" shorter or longer? I can get it 2.25 or 2.5, but need 2.375.

(unless you have a 2.375 available).

Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Are you specifically referring to the size of the link arm? If so, there's usually some play, so you can get away with using a size that is only a little off, either way.
A quick learner says:
Hi and thank you.

Yes, I'm talking about the link arm. So do I get it an ⅛ inch longer or shorter?

Thanks again.
A handy person from Miami says:
Tom, thanks.

Yes, I am talking about the link arm. I'm thinking of buying the longer one....39-007, which is an ⅛" longer.

Just seems that "bigger is better", and with something of that size, as you say, ⅛" should not make that much difference.

Any final thoughts? Longer or shorter?

Thanks again.....
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Like Tom said, there is usually a certain amount of play/travel in the gear linkage. I don't think a 1/8" difference one way or another should make a difference, whether you go larger or smaller.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)