SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Crossbow balance with red shoe

A quick learner from USA says:
Your Series 850-30 crossbow balances look like what we need, 30.5" long 1" red shoe, 3/8" wide top. I don't see ones with a red shoe listed on your web page. Are red shoe ones available? If not, what weights do the black and the white 1" shoes support?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid that Red Shoe is no longer available. This balance Series has actually been discontinued and we will only sell it as our supplies last. However, all hope is not lost. We may be able to substitute with another Series, but I will need more information before I can recommend anything. First, can you tell me the width of your shoe (the total width of the "T")? Can you also tell me the weight of your window sash? Finally, please tell me the width and height of the visible glass. Thank you!
A quick learner says:
The width of the red shoe "T" is 15/16".
The window sash weighs 17.5 lb.
The visible glass is 30.25" wide by 26.25" high.
The channel opening is 1/2" wide, the channel depth is 1".
The present crossbow balance is 30.5" long.

I hope you can recommend replacement balances, since we have over 100 of these windows which eventually will probably give us trouble.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thanks again for your patience! We came up with a possible solution for you. It is a thin channel balance assembly with a pivot shoe attached. It installs similarly to the original crossbow balance, however you will need to replace the pivot bars; this may take some effort and I cannot guarantee that it will work.

I will email you a custom balance and pivot bar ordering link shortly, should you want to give it a go.
A quick learner says:
Thank you. I passed the information and link to the Supervisor of Plant Operations.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)