SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Crossbows for a job

A contractor from MD says:
I went to the job today and there are 5 windows that need the balances replaced.

2 windows have a visible glass size of 28 3/4"w x 25 1/4"h
- 26.5" balance
- 1" wide black shoes

2 windows have a visible glass size of 28 5/8"w x 29 1/8"h
- 30.5" balance
- 1" wide Black shoes

1 window has a visible glass size of 16 1/2"w x 29 1/8"h
- 30.5" balance
- 1" wide black shoes

The last window does not make sense, it's the same size balance as the item above it, yet the sash is almost half the size.

It looks like the only difference in these balances is the length of the rod. If I have issues with this window self opening, can't I just cut the rod?

Thanks!
John
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Hi John,

Looking at the last two windows you are concerned with, they both have the same height sash so the length of the balance should not be a problem and if you would like to check on the strength, remove each sash and place on a scale.

The S850-30 with Black shoes will carry a window sash weight range of 8 through and including 22 pounds.

The S850-30 with White shoe will carry a window sash weight range of 22 through and including 28 pounds.

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
A contractor from Forest Hill, MD says:
Thanks for your help!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)