SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Custom Balance

A home owner from Texas says:
I need to purchase new balance springs for my windows and the 351 1/2" series appears to fit what I have except for the balance shoes. I think mine are 15-003, not the 15-002 that come attached. Can we custom order prefab balance springs with the 15-003?

I will go home this evening and investigate to see if the smaller shoe will work. Our windows are 25 years old so no telling what was original.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We can custom make a balance with the 15-003, yes. However, may I ask what makes you think the 15-003 is the right shoe? It is not as common as the 15-002 so I just want to confirm, especially if we are making a custom balance. If you want, you can take a few pictures of your existing shoe to upload to this thread so we can take a look at it.

In either event, can you also tell me the length of your metal channel and the number printed on it?
A home owner from Bedford, TX says:
Our house is 26 years old and the poor windows have received very little attention during those years. In fact, none that we can tell. Most balances are jammed or broken and the frames caked up with dirt. We are in the process of replacing all the glass.

We'll need two lengths of balances - 29" and 35". The sash weights we have are 12.2, 18.8, 22.2 and 24.8 lbs. I carefully measured the balance shoes from several windows and the dimensions matched the 15-003 that is on the SWISCO website. I will send an image here shortly so you can confirm the sizes.
A handy person from Bedford, TX says:
The images I have attached show a balance shoe that matches the dimensions of 15-003. However, 15-002 comes standard on Series 351 Channel Balances that actually match what I have.

How can I place an order for the appropriate balance and shoe size?
Robert L
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! Can you specify which balance length goes to which sash weight? We need to know that in order to make sure that these custom made balances are exactly what you need.
A handy person from Bedford, TX says:
Below are the balance specs that we'll need:

BAL QTY Length Sash Weight

6 35" 22.20 lbs
20 29" 18.80 lbs
8 29" 12.20 lbs
2 29" 24.80 lbs

Note: the QTY is based on 2 balances needed per window. We have 18 sashes total that need new balances.
Profile picture of Tom
Alright! I've whipped up a few forms for you to fill out. Now, these are just request forms. I've already filled out the technical stuff, all you need to do is add in some personal info and purchase quantity. After you submit these, one of our representatives will e-mail you back with a price quote and unique items which you can add to your cart. From there, you can continue shopping or finalize your order and check out! Let's get started.

1) This first form is for the 35" long channel balances.
2) This is for the 29" long balance for the 18.80 pound sash.
3) This one is for the 29" balance for the 12.20 pound sash.
4) Finally, this is for the 29" long balance for the 24.80 pound sash.

All of these balances have a 19-005 top attachment and 15-003 bottom attachment. I have calculated the weight for each sash you mentioned and chosen the appropriate stamp option. If you would like to make any changes, or if you have any questions, please let me know and I would be happy to help!
A home owner from Bedford TX says:
Thank you for your assistance. I have responded and look forward to placing my complete order ASAP!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)