SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Cylinder lock replacement

A handy person from Minnesota says:
Hello,

I'm looking for a replacement for an Acorn Series 1200 1.5" thick sliding patio door cylinder lock (acorn part 550-01410). Any thing available?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I wasn't able to cross-reference that number to anything specifically. Could you show me a few pictures of the handle set in question? Can you also give me its measurements, including hole spacing? Thanks!
Thanks for the reply. Hole spacing is 3.5". Image shows all parts.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks, I have received your diagram. I believe the 82-004 could work on your door. You might have to reuse the existing screws you have now, or purchase the correct size screw from a local hardware store. Keep in mind that Acorn is no longer in business, which means the original lock is also no longer available. I'm not sure if the standard 82-055K key lock handle will work you so you might need the 82-303 key cylinder which comes with a longer tail, then cut it to fit. What do you think?
Might work. Is 82-303 1/2" in diameter, and approximately 3/4" (20 mm)from the keyed end to the pop-out wafer that holds it in the handle?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I actually disagree with Dave. The key cylinder that comes with the 82-055K lockset, the 82-310, should be long enough for a 1-1/2" thick door. That way you won't have to try to get an outside key cylinder to work.
Thanks for looking into the matter. I appreciate it. Does the 82-055K lockset fit a door with 3.5" between screws, and does it include just the outside handle or the entire assembly (both inside and outside handles and internal pieces). Thanks. Jon
Profile picture of Paul
Yes, the hole center spacing on the 82-055K is 3-1/2" and it comes with both the inside and outside handles, key cylinder, keeper, locking latch, and installation screws.
The latch hook in the 82-055K diagram is shorter than the 2" latch hook now in the door, which figures since the shorter one in the diagram says it is for 1.25" thick doors. I think I can just use the same longer latch hook and be OK. See any problems?
Profile picture of Paul
I think that looks to be a great solution, yes. Please let us know if it works out for you.
A handy person says:
Thanks for your help. Works great. Used existing 2" latch hook and cut lock tab to proper length. Really only need the lock and its base plate. Jon
Profile picture of Paul
Glad to hear it, Jon! Thanks for letting us know, and thank you for doing business with us.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)