SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Dead Bolt Shims

A home owner from Kings Park, NY says:
Customer service Dept.- I recently bought the 40-160 Lever Lock set and installed it. The installation was no problem. However, I could not use the piece you provide to engage the top latch. It does not engage due to the distance between the inside jamb and the latch (see picture). I want to keep what I currently have. But, in order to do this I need at least four more of the dead bolt shims that come with the 40-160 (as seen on your site - https://www.swisco.com/images/pictures/2013/02/16640.jpg) to add 1/2 inch so the latch will close. Please tell me how much it will cost to get these shims. Thank you.
User submitted photos of a storm door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. The first issue I see is that you are using the keeper in question (see image below) for the deadbolt on the bottom, when it should be used for the latch on top.
Strike plate & shims for 40-160
The deadbolt uses this part that comes with the 40-160 set.
Additional hardware for 40-160
You may be able to use our 40-084 shim for the latch keeper, and just a simple piece of wood for the deadbolt keeper (or both, for that matter).
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)