Different widths of tandem roller 81-174

A quick learner from Seattle says:
The trolleys that are showed above were ordered and shipped. The shiney gold plated ones are your 81-174. My problem with these are that the profile of the protrusions on the sides leaves these too loose. I received 4 loose and a bag of 10. The 4 match up with my originals. I understand that that your inventory is low, and your customer service didn't know when more might arrive and will they will be the same?

Would someone look at this issue.

Thanks, Bill
Rollers
What I want to do is to do is get a better quality part. In fact, if you can find the stainless steel trolleys, that would be great.

These are a little difficult to measure from one to the other. I used a stack of shims on yours, and that equaled .165
rollers
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Bill. I'm having a little trouble understanding. Are you saying that four of the fourteen 81-174 rollers you bought fit fine, and that ten were loose? The dimples should be 7/8" wide on all 81-174 rollers. We do have a stainless steel roller, the 81-173, however the wheels are 1-1/4" diameter, not the 1-1/8". Also, the 81-173 has flares on the sides at 11/16" in width. Take a look and see if you could perhaps adapt this for use in your door.
A professional from CA says:
Spread the flares on the 81-174. I have never used rollers with dimples. They are too limited in their application. Also, I never use "U" shaped tabs. They tend to wind up rocking in the center of the door. 81-056 should work better.
A home owner from Seattle, WA says:
Dave: I looked at the 81-173 and due to flat sides that won't work.

To clarify, if you look closely at my old rusty one, it has what I would describe as a rivet head, like the stainless steel one in the same photo. I received four of these and the rest have the cone shape protrusion. This leaves the trolley loose in the frame.

It gets back to one question, can you get more like the four with the rivet shape head.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I have a few more thoughts. If you were to bend the tabs at the bottom of the roller housing, that should make the roller thicker. Like our friend from California mentioned, the 81-056 is a good option. Again, spreading the tabs should make it fit tighter in the channel of the door. We checked with our suppliers and could not come up with a roller exactly like the one you show in your photos.
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.