SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Dimensions, please, for 40-188 ?

A home owner from Canada (BC) says:
I'm looking for a latch that will work in a wooden door that's 1" thick, with relatively narrow stiles. The mortise depth needs to be 1 3/8" or less. This latch set is just about exactly what I want, if it will fit. Could you please give the required depth and width of mortise, width of the mortise cover plate, the required backset, and width of the ornamental cover plates? Thank you. (Regrettably, the answer to the previous post asking for dimensions contains no information.)
Apologies, got the mortise depth limit wrong. I can go up to 1 5/8" depth. And not to worry about fitting it in a wooden door -- I can deal with that part. Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Looking at the 40-188 handle set, it seems that it would need a back set of 1-1/4" from the edge of the door. The face plate measures 1-3/8" wide and 6" long. We also carry a more standard handle in our 40-096. Many wood storm door manufacturers use this. Also take a look at a surface mounted storm door handle set like the 40-160. With the surface mounted set, you would not need to mortise a latch into the door. Just a thought. Take a look at these options and see what you think.
Dang. The backset plus half the faceplate width is
1 15/16" and I have only 1 3/4" stile width. The 40-096 fails for the same reason (I had something similar on hand). I'll keep the 40-160 in mind while I look into some other options. Thanks for posting the measurements.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)