Discontinued Louisiana Pacific window problems

A home owner from Michigan says:
Our home built in 1998 has LP windows. They are all double-hung tilt in windows. The sticker says product line 101-N. We have three windows that will not stay open. They just slam down. Is this something we can fix ourselves, not being extremely handy? What part(s) would we need to replace? One window is shorter than the others if that matters. I can upload a picture if needed. Thanks for any help you can give us!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like there may be a problem with the window balance. I will need pictures in order to help you. First, take a picture of the window itself. That is a good place to get started. Please also try to get a couple pictures of the balances; they should be located inside the jamb track on either side of the frame. They may be in a metal or plastic casing and they contain the springs and pulleys that are supposed to hold the window up once you raise it.
A home owner from Michigan says:
I'm not sure if these pictures will be enough for you. The first three photos show one window where the bottom section has one cord in place and the opposite side you can see the cord has broken.

The last two photos are of a smaller window. The top window falls down and the bottom window is very hard to move. I don't see any cords at all.

Please let me know if you need more photos.
User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I do believe we can help you repair this window, however we are having trouble finding an exact match for this balance. Is it possible to see the balance removed from the window to get a better look at it? It appears that it could be similar to our Series 770 but I'm not sure. I would also like to see what type of balance shoe you have, but the one you show is damaged. Do you have one that isn't? Send us some more photos a long with dimensions and we should be able to identify the parts needed. Thank you again for your patience!
A quick learner from Michigan says:
Can you give us a little instruction of how to remove the balance from the window? Also, not knowing much about windows, can you also explain what the balance shoe is?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience. From what I can make out so far, I think you have some version of our Series 770 channel balance, though it may not be the same. You may also have a 15-129 pivot shoe. It's still hard to tell. I recommend watching the videos I've associated on the right side of this page. They may help give you some insight on what you can do.
A quick learner says:
Hi. It has been a long time since this discussion. I plan to upload a picture in a few days of the balance and shoe. We also need the weather stripping replaced. I'm attaching some photos. The width is hard to measure. the total height including the wool and base is close to 3/8". Do you have anything that will work to replace this?
User submitted photos of wool pile.
A quick learner says:
Here is a photo of a balance shoe that is unbroken. Also, pictures of the channel balance that is 28" long.

QUESTION 2 - The upper window is stuck and we can not pull it down. It is definitely a double hung tilt in. Any ideas of what could be wrong?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, hopefully we can help. The pivot cam in the tilt shoe might be twisted in such a way it is grabbing the sides of the window track. Are you able to look up under the sash to see the shoe? If so, see if you can make a hook-like tool out of a coat hanger to grab and pull down the shoe a few inches. Hopefully that will allow you to tilt in the top sash and remove it. Also maybe spray some WD 40 up under the top sash track.

I'm not sure about the wool pile. Could you use something like our 58-053? It has the same type of kerf.
A handy person from Wadsworth, Ohio 44281 says:

Are you a manufacturer of windows that repair or replace LP windows from the early 90's?

I just broke the bottom window and am in need of a replacement.

Thx

Joe

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Joe. We are unfortunately not a window manufacturer, and this is not the kind of project we can help with. We're just a third party supplier of repair parts, such as latches, locks, balances, etc.

I suggest contacting a local glass shop in your area to replace the window pane for you.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.